My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://carolpetersonauthor.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 17, 2012

THE 10+ 1 BUILDING BLOCKS OF RELATIONSHIPS: APPROVAL

Welcome again to my friend, Chris Vonada. He's back with the next in his series on the 10 + 1 Building Blocks of Relationships. Visit him often at ChrisVonada.com.


10 + 1 takes a new twist today...

Approval... it's...

The award of recognition.

Or, unconditionally accepting.

This, to me, is one of the main reasons that we should be very careful about how we choose the people who are closest to us... authentic and meaningful approval comes from like-minded people, those who share our personal beliefs and traits. If we want to keep moving in the right direction, we have to be influenced by the approval of the right people. (click to tweet) It's just that simple.

In a way, when it comes to approval, we're all among the walking wounded... seeking the approval of those who we value their opinion. Having self-confidence is extremely valuable too... but, at some point, I think we would all agree that we yearn for approval.

Looking for the ultimate stamp of approval? Consider this...

"When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife." Matthew 1:24

Our numero uno most important relationship is with God. If we're looking for the ultimate stamp of approval it should be from Him. This verse from the book of Matthew resounds with that... when Mary turned up pregnant with baby Jesus, Joseph had a mind to divorce her quietly. Surely that's probably what his close friends would have told him too... but an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream (yep!!) and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins." Matthew 1:20

Sounds like a crazy dream, right? Yea, I would think so too... and so would my close friends, if I were to tell them about it and ask them for approval. Joseph probably knew, though, that all of this fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet Isaiah. Plus his faith in the Lord was so strong that he took the good angel's advice and ran with it. Sounds crazy... Right! I'm thinking Joseph probably didn't talk this one up with his friends... he probably took God's excellent advice... our Heavenly Father's approval, and ran with it.

Well, has God ever asked you to do something crazy? Maybe He is right now? If you're surrounded by good people consulting them would give you some feedback, for sure... but don't ever forget the most important place for us to gain guidance and approval is from our Heavenly Father. Always try to take His advice... and approval, before that from anyone else.

Remember, God made us out of dust... we're nothing without Him... He desires to have a relationship with us.

Seeking approval?

While we may not ever agree with every word or action of someone else, the underlying premise of approval is that our general sense or feeling... the vibe, if you will, that we're giving off in our approval is that the other person is good. We have a favorable opinion of them... I've got your back.

Giving your blessing...

Showing your favor...

10 + 1... Approval... remember, ask God first... and seek the advice of wise counselors...

Are you conscious of who your wise counselors are at this time?

2 comments:

Pam B. said...

In my conversations with God, I find He answers my questions and I know that the answer is from Him. I don't usually get the answer that moment, but it will come. The answer may come through something I am reading, through a thought, through a Godly friend, and once I even heard His voice. I know He is the I AM, yet He cares about me. That's validation, that's approval.

chris said...

That's excellent Pam, I feel much the same way when I pray to God and ask... the answers will always come, that we can count on!

Thank you for your thoughtful comments!!